Saturday, May 24, 2008

I have been stung!


Since Holly understandably does not feel like climbing stairs this week, I have been sleeping on the floor in a sleeping bag by Holly and the baby in the living room. I had no reason to fear because we haven't seen any living creatures in our house in months. Just to be safe, I had our place sprayed again the Saturday before Holly and the baby came home. I went to bed around midnight on Thursday (May 22). I remember being sound asleep when all of a sudden, I felt a quick, stinging pain on one of my fingers. It's hard to describe. It feels a little bit like being electrocuted. Afterwards, it hurt kind of like a bee sting. I jumped up and went to the other side of the room. I asked myself if I could be imagining something, but the pain was real enough. I carefully walked back to where I was sleeping and carefully looked around my pillow. I slowly took of off the pillow case. No scorpion. Was it in my sleeping bag? Those things are fast and they hide really well. Meanwhile, Holly was on the lazy boy feeding the baby. Great, I thought, There is most likely a scorpion within three feet of my baby. I moved a flannel board which was against the wall, and sure enough, there he was: a good old scorpion. I knew the day would come. I had seen three live scorpions since living here and a few were close calls. None of those survived. One was on my pillow on the couch, but I happened to see it before I sat down. One was in the shed; and I don't really know where I saw the other one. This time, I was not so lucky. I carefully moved everything away from the wall looking for something good to smash it with. I saw that it was moving rapidly towards the drapes. I lifted the drapes so that it would not be able to hide there. It immediately stopped. I had him. I ran into the kitchen grabbed the phone book, and as it moved toward me (stinger up, oh I hate that sight!) I wound up and.......Wack! Still moving. WACK!! Still moving. WACK!!! Still moving. WACK!!!! DEAD! My parents would wonder in the morning what that sound was from. I was rattled the rest of the night. I wasn't worried about me. You see, unlike the black scorpions in Arizona, these scorpions are not poisonous to humans, even though they happen to be huge and quite scary looking. But are they poisonous to children and infants? I went to google at 1:30 in the morning and found out that most likely not, at least no more than bees. It's possible that a kid could have an allergic reaction, but even then it would most likely be OK. I shut the windows and went to bed around 2:00 to dream about giant, poisonous scorpions. By the way, ya'll are welcome to come stay with us any time you want. :)

2 comments:

Alonso Family said...

all i have to say about that is "yikes" i am sooooo glad i don't live where you live! good luck with all that!

Randall and Christy Hatch said...

NASTY! Glad I haven't seen any lately!